Monday, November 15, 2010

Shoes

I still have every single shoe that I've worn from my first .5 mile run. These shoes hold a lot of memories:

In my shoes I've cried for joy at completing my first 5k.
I came in 3rd place in my 4th 5k. On accident. And laughed...and laughed.
In them I felt frustration during my first 10k at having to go over the same stupid bridge 20 times. At one point I considered jumping off the bridge.
I felt relief on my 30th birthday when I ran 8 miles for the first time.
I felt pain when I ran my first 10 miles in my Red Asics at White Rock.
My Red Asics also carried me through the asthma attack I had at mile 10.7 of my first half.
I laughed for 13.2 miles straight in my first pair of Brooks doing my 2nd half marathon with my best friend.
I spent the most honest and hard working 16 weeks in a pair of yellow Brooks training for my first full marathon.
That pair in front...I wore when I set a half marathon personal record at 24 weeks pregnant, chugged through a marathon relay, and cruised through a 5k 3 weeks before Isla was born.

Those shoes...hold a lot of memories. Some of the best times I've had in the last three years have been in those shoes.

But I think it's time to get rid of them. They are old. They won't be worn again. Holding on to old baggage creates chaos. Adios old shoes.....