Monday, December 12, 2011

Don't wait til January 1, Get a Grip Now- Mom's Running

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~Mary Pickford

I was myself feeling pretty craptacular last week.  I really wanted to run right after the half.  But my shoulder was killing.  And then I got really busy.  And then I was tired.  All the while, my shoulder still hurt a LOT.  Basically, I had a bag full of excuses, and in the end, it's been a week since I ran.  Longer since I've hit the gym.

Meanwhile, it's the holiday season, so I've consumed enough calories to fuel Santa's sleigh 'round the world and back.

The combination has made me feel like shit.  Physically and mentally.   I swear I can actually feel where the Hershey's Peppermint Kisses have settled on my ass and the moodiness from starch has left me clawing the walls.

I hate to say it, because it sounds so cliche, but I am someone who NEEDS exercise.  I think that most of us who call ourselves runners are like that.  We're addicted to the dope(amine).  We get trip on the (lactic) Acid.  When we're not dipping into our fixes, we're experiencing withdrawal.  Which hurts.  I actually spent this weekend fantasizing about a marathon, and marathon training.

While some ladies were dreaming about a beach vacation, sipping Mai Thais, wearing new diamonds, and having a back rub, I was plotting out 20 mile runs as I laid in my jacuzzi.  The aching in my thighs that can only be accomplished after 15 hard miles is a sensation I've missed.  My brain was filled with the visions and dreams of the deep, rich satisfaction that I only achieve when I'm knee deep in to a marathon plan. 

I spent the better part of Sunday thinking, "Okay, come January 1, I'm HITTING IT!"  Because that's what we do, right?  We make our resolutions and start anew with the first of the year.

But the problem is that I have a half on December 31.  And a 5k on January 1.  Add to the fact that there's a whole lot of parties and partying between now and January 1.  Now really isn't the time to be idle.  Instead of waiting, maybe I should become anew, refreshed at the end of this year.

And with that in mind...this morning...I hit the road for 4 miles and spent quality time.


Why wait til January 1.  Make the change now.