Sunday, June 23, 2013

Coaching is Saving My Sanity....

The last two weeks have been a royal cluster eff of craziness.  Camp started on June 10 and in order to effectively direct 42 counselors (my new adopted babies) and keep the 110 campers I'm responsible for, alive, healthy, and happy, I've been pulling 60+ hour weeks.  I've just been struggling to keep my head above water. 

Thursday night I was feeling pretty beaten down by the time I got to the gym to coach my runners.  I was a new kind of tired and starting to get miserable.  Then the run started...and it began to gradually wash away.

My "baby" runners who hadn't been able to run 60 seconds straight without huffing, puffing, and whining suddenly ran 9 straight minutes.  My intermediate runners who had complained about the heat, struggled to crack 12 minute miles in the 100 degrees earlier, were rocking 8:30-9:30 m/m intervals. 


I paused for a moment and thought, "This is frigging AWESOME!" 

I was telling their story to our regional Run director Friday morning.  How excited I was that these strangers had quickly become my friends and people I was so committed to seeing succeed, when I found myself getting goosebumps just thinking about them and this experience.  It's just so awesome to see other people realize what their bodies are capable of when they really set goals and focus.