Wednesday, February 17, 2016

I'm a WINTER WUSS


"I'm just not cut out for this kind of weather."

That's the phrase all of my Yankee friends are probably sick of hearing me say.  But it's become painfully true within the last 24 hours.

I'm a Texas Girl.  Okay, so maybe I grew up in New York, but I left here and slowly migrated south over the last 20 years.  This level and duration of COLD isn't something I'm comfortable with.  The lack of sunshine takes a serious toll on a southern soul's sanity.

But nonetheless, I committed to moving here.  Which means as much as I love June-October, I've gotta put up with December-May.  So I invested in all of the winter running gear. 
Craft Storm Pants, check.
Saucony Nomad jacket, check.
Extra Adidas Response Boost trail shoes, check.
Smart Wool socks, check.
Buff, gloves...all the nonsense...check check check.


All of the above being said, I have still spent much of this (very mild so far) winter running on a treadmill.  Listen, I'm a wuss.  And really accident prone. 

But yesterday was so beautiful with the snow.  I had already been locked in the house for long enough and wanted the "experience" of "running" in 2 feet of snow.  So I bundled up, grabbed my dogs, and headed out to run/walk/climb trees through the (completely snowed over) trails in my woods


It was fun.  I really had a blast.  I even made SNOW ANGELS.  On the ground (holla! Craft Storm Pants, I stayed so warm!). 


And then came midnight.  Where I was in SO MUCH PAIN that I couldn't sleep.
 Y'all, running in the snow makes you use muscles you didn't KNOW existed. 

So after this Aleve (and coffee...lots and lots of coffee) kicks in, I'll get my butt back out there again.  Running and hiking in the snow has shown me that I've got a lot more muscles to work on because snow is probably a lot like the muck and mud I'll experience on this spring's trail runs.