Friday, August 8, 2008

Jodi Piccoult, I'm Disappointed in you

I've been a reading maniac all summer.

My husband repeatedly complains about the amount of books that I have had to purchase to feed the addiction. "ANOTHER book, my god, can't you read slower?" But, in my childish desires to become a writer, I've become wanting to read any kind of new, good-quality fiction that's out there.

I ripped through these in no time flat. They were all quite an interesting journey.


Then I was heading back to Texas from my trip to San Diego/Vegas I was browsing through the airport book store. I've been looking at this book all summer.
The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Every time I've gone to buy a book, it's there. I just wasn't sure I was ready. Then I flipped it over and read what Jodi Piccoult had to say about it. She raved and raved about the book. Well, at least in edited format she did. And I love everything (except for My Sister's Keeper) Jodi Piccoult. So I bit the $14 bullet and bought it.

I'm having a hard time with it. The concept is grand. It's a great premise for a story, and I would love to explore the character's more, but it's a bit shallow. I don't feel attached to the characters...any of them. It's a little dry and almost too camera-techie at points. Alas, I am 2/3 of the way through it, so I'll keep plugging away. But...what should I read next?