Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Really Need a Nap. Or 7.

I think I'm doing too much.

What I constantly hear from my friends: "I don't know how you do it all"
What I'm thinking:  "It's a freaking act people"
After what happened yesterday, the proof is in the pudding.  Or rather, bra.

I'm clearly not doing it all.  More likely, I  am about 30 seconds away from a Celebrity-esque stint in Rehab for exhaustion.

Wednesday's are my "easy" day.  I have one morning running crew, then while Isla naps, I do school work.  I also do some errand running, which typically includes banking.  Yesterday was odd because we had a playdate and Isla fell asleep in the car on the way home.  So, going off my routine, I decided to stop at the ATM, make my deposits and take out money for our tutor.

I made my deposit, and went on about my day.

Fast forward three hours and I'm sitting in the parking lot to pick Holds up.
I grab my wallet and notice that there's no money in it.  What happened to the $40 I took from the ATM?
Wait, I did take $40 out, right?
Well...I know I made the deposit.
But I don't know if I took money out.  I probably did.  I don't remember anything after making the deposit.
I bet I lost it in the car.
I ransack my wallet, my car, my diaper bag.
Holden gets into the car and assists in my efforts.
The money is no.where.to.be.found.
I start to assume that I never took it from the machine.  I left it there.

Starting to panic, I call the bank.  And have what is almost the most embarassing conversation ever:

Me:  I stopped at the ATM today, I think I took money out.  But I don't know.  If I forgot to grab it, does the machine suck it back up?
Bank Guy: Um, no, m'am, the machine does not do that....

He goes on to tell me that I can go ahead and file a claim with the bank, stating that I made a withdrawal but did not receive the money.

I'm thinking, "Okay, I'll do that...but...what if the ATM machine tape sees me take the money...and I just lost it...then am I a thief?"  For that reason, I decide against filing a claim.

Instead, I head back to the ATM and take out money again, this time Holden hovers over me to take the money and put it aside safely.

Later, I get home and change out of my running-toddler playdate clothes.  Soon, I made a wonderful discovery.

$40

In my bra.

Should have checked there first.  Can you imagine if I'd filed the claim?  And they pulled that tape?  Lovely. 

Guess that's what happens when you wake up for the day at 2:30 a.m.