Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Marathon Number 3

It wasn't easy.  It wasn't pretty.  It wasn't even fun.  But it's done, and for that I am glad.

Marathon number three is in the books and for that I am glad.

On Saturday I played Race Director to a fund raising 5K at Holden's School.  This small little race which drew in 160 runners last year exploded this year!  We had over 600 people register for our race, which was very exciting!  Being a race director was stressful, trying, and exhausting.

 
About 2 hours after the  5K wrapped up, I was locked and loaded in my Best Runner Friend's Jeep and headed on our first Road Trip Marathon together!

To say that I was tired is the understatement of the year.  I was pretty much a zombie.  The fatigue I felt on Saturday is probably why Sunday's marathon wasn't that great.

Given that this was the largest marathon post Boston, it was an interesting experience.  When we got to the start line, it was quite obvious that this was a different environment.

Never before have I seen numerous bomb squad members and dogs at the start line.  Never before has my race course been patrolled by Army National Guard members and police officers. 
This was an extremely hilly course.  Right from Mile One we were hit with the notion that this would be a trying course. 


Fire Fighters honoring West, Texas.

The Only Fun Hill:  Gorilla Hill

How most of the course was...boring....

I started this race feeling TIRED and completely hit the wall by mile 16.  Probably my worst race ever, and it really made me question my current condition.  I realize that I am a better runner than I demonstrated on this day, but I have a lot of work ahead of me to make my Fall marathons much more successful.