Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Wilma...



I get a "Daily Kick in the Ass" quote e-mailed to me from Runner's World. Most of the time the quotes are okay. Sometimes they are awesome, and once in a blue moon, I get a true kick in the ass. Tonight that is the case.

I have the benefit of having heard the story of Wilma Rudolph while teaching 5th grade the last two years. Wilma was a girl in leg braces, unable to stand...walk. Run? HA! She was stricken with Polio. But Wilma wasn't one for taking life easy. She believed that she could over come, and, by golly, she did. Wilma pushed her limits and stood, then walked, and finally, she RAN...all the way to the Olympics.

So on this rainy, dreary day, where I find myself mourning the fact that I won't be running the 2011 Disney Marathon, I am inspired to not completely give up by Wilma.

I ran and ran every day, and I acquired a sense of determination, this sense of spirit that I would never, never give up, no matter what else happened.