Monday, December 19, 2011

Good News Bad News/PR Broken Toe...

What a crazy few days.

I was signed up for a 15k on Saturday.  Friday night, as I'm getting settled into my "pre race bedtime routine" I managed to drop my laptop.  Squarely on my big toe.  It hurt.  And then it REALLY HURT.  My gut told me that, based on the amount of pain I was in that it was broken.

But, I had a 15k the next day.   It couldn't be broken.  It just had to be bruised, for now.  With a little help from my friends, I managed to get it elevated, iced, and crashed out for a few hours of sleep before the race day alarm rang. 

As I put my shoes on, I realized that, yup, the toe still hurt.  A lot.  But I couldn't back out of the race, my friend was expecting me.  On the ride down, I decided that I'd give it the old college try and see what happens.

The gun fired, and I took off.  Immediately I new my stride was off.  My shins started to hurt, as I wasn't landing on my foot properly, I could feel muscles tweaking.  I never realized how important, to our gait, the big toe is.  At mile 1.4 I noticed that there was a turning point, either continue straight for the 15k or turn left for the 5k.  I considered.  Do I turn, or do I go?

My body screamed at me.  TurnTurn.  Turn.  This ain't good.  You're crazy to continue.  You ain't got nothing to prove.  Knock this crap off.
Why yes, I am fully aware of the fact that I have the ugliest feet.  Ever.

And so, with a heavy heart, I turned towards the 5k course.  I felt like a loser.  I was trained for the 15k.  I was ready to rock that bad boy.  But no.  Today would not be the day.  So I just ran a pretty kick ass 5k.

I got home and thought, "yea it hurts, but it can't be broken, I just PRd on a 5k."  With a little prodding from some family members, I headed to the ER for an x ray to rule out a broken bone, because, after all, I have a 13.1/5k in 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, the x ray showed that I had, indeed run that morning on a broken primary toe.
Another doctor visit today with an orthopedist...I'll be in a Storm Trooper boot for 4-6 weeks.  My 13.1/5k back to backs are questionable. 

But the good news...my laptop didn't break!