Sunday, January 12, 2014

What's more fun than running back to back halves?

Supporting other runners who are out there doing it...or back to back full marathons!

On December 31 and January 1 I had the opportunity to work for one of my favorite Race Directors, Libby of The Active Joe.  Libby's races, The New Year's Double, is my absolute favorite event of the year.  After having participated in back to back races for the last two years, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to be a part of the event, despite my injury!  I was honored when Libby offered me the opportunity to help.

  I was responsible for the bag drop tent, which was used mostly by the marathoners who would pass by my table several times.  It was fun to bond with the runners. I quickly learned them by name, and knew what they'd be needing when they stopped at the tent.

Not only do I love Libby and all of her awesome events, I also love the people that run her races.  I had several runners participating in the New Years eve and New Years day runs and I was beyond thrilled that I could watch them in their awesomeness.

Almost 1 year ago, I had the chance to run with our family's nanny, Tracie, in her first ever 5K.  Tracie decided to step things up...just a notch...and attempt a marathon this year at the New Years eve run, and a half the next day.  Even though it was absolutely bitter cold, (I was shivering despite being bundled like the Abominable Snowman in 4 jackets!)  I was honored to watch Tracie run.
                                                    
Freeeeeeeezing....but smiling and excited to RUN!

Tracie didn't quite make the full marathon cutoff time on New Years Eve, by just minutes.  But she did manage to get in over 18 miles!  I was so proud of this girl and the amazing journey she had taken in just 11 months!
                                                        
Check out Tracie's AMAAAAZING bling!
                                                   
I really enjoyed working this event.  Being around such dedicated runners really inspired me, and gave me a positive ray of sunshine in my "injured runner" depression slump.  I can't wait to work Libby's next race, The Fairview Half!